Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What You’ll Need:
- Your fave mac and cheese recipe (see below for mine!)
- Spreadable salted butter (I use the Challenge brand’s Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper spreadable butter with olive oil)
- Sliced cheese (we like pepper jack)
(PS, I swear the sandwiches were not that huge – it’s the camera angle. Promise!)
- Make the mac and cheese.
- Once you’ve made the macaroni and cheese, spread it in an even layer on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Let it cool in the fridge, preferably overnight so that it hardens.
- Once the macaroni and cheese is cold, slice it into squares that are roughly 1/2-inch smaller than the bread you plan on using for the grilled cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F, and while you’re waiting for the oven to heat up, butter one side of the bread slices.
- Assemble in this order on another cookie sheet: Bread (butter side down), slice of cheese, mac & cheese square, loose spinach leaves, slice of cheese, bread (butter side up).
- Bake sandwiches in the oven for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted, the bread is toasted.
- Slice into triangles, grab extra napkins and enjoy immediately!
My Favorite Mac & Cheese Recipe
Yield: 5 to 6 servings (and in this case, enough for about 8 sandwiches!)
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups grated medium cheddar cheese
- Boil the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water and set aside. (Tip: Mix in a little butter or olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking if it’s going to be awhile before you make the sauce.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter and slowly stir in the milk and sour cream.
- Add the salt, dry mustard, pepper, and paprika. Stir constantly over medium heat for about three minutes.
- Once the sauce thickens, remove from heat, and stir in 2 cups of the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and toss gently until all noodles are covered.
- Add noodles to a two quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and a little more pepper.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the noodles start browning at the top.