We tend to spend a lot of time outdoors, so we try to always have snacks on hand in our Camelbaks for an easy grab and go. And as an attempt to eliminate processed foods from our diet, I usually toss in any granola-y ingredients to make these homemade granola bars. Here’s a recipe I make for our favorite versions, but before you get started, please note: I’m a trail-by-error cook, so I’ll add a little more of this, or a little more of that to get the consistency that I want. You may want to do the same!
Super Easy No-Bake Homemade Granola Bars Recipe
This healthy peanut butter granola bar recipe just takes about 5 minutes to throw together! See the bottom of the recipe for ideas of other optional ingredients and adaptations.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 2/3 cup Barbara’s Cinnamon Puffins cereal (crushed into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds or pecans (or both!)
- 1/8 cup flaxseed (optional)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Craisins (chopped)
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1/3 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
1. Add all dry ingredients and the Craisins into a large bowl and mix well.
2. In a separate (microwave safe) bowl, add peanut butter, agave syrup and vanilla, and microwave for about 20 seconds. This thins out the mixture and makes it easier to mix with the dry ingredients in the next step.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the large mixing bowl and stir together with the dry ingredients, mixing throroughly. It will be thick and you’ll have to put some elbow grease into it, but if it’s still simply too dry, add another teaspoon of agave syrup.
4. Use wax paper to line the bottom of a glass baking dish (I use a 2-quart). Spoon the mixture on top, and press it down firmly. I use the bottom of my large measuring cup to press and flatten evenly.
5. Leave in the fridge about a half hour for the ingredients to bond. Then use a knife to cut into squares. I wrap mine individually with either plastic wrap or wax paper. ENJOY!
Additional Ingredients & Substitutions:
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
- Swap honey for the agave syrup
Need more baking ideas? Check out the recipes for these other tasty treats: